Wednesday 15 October 2008


Plum Perfect
(24" x 18", oil on canvas)

I work with a standard palette, or choice of colours, for most of my paintings. I may substitute one yellow for another, or add an umber, but rarely do I stray from my old standbys. This painting is an exception, where to capture the colour of the bowl I had to use a very powerful blue hue that I had tucked away at the back of a drawer. The beauty of this colour, called Windsor Blue (Green Shade), is also its downfall, because its incredible tinting power can quite easily contaminate all the other colours. I think I kept it under control here allowing it to flow from the bowl just a little into the shadow of the yellow plums and the folds of the cloth. The colour belongs to the composition without overpowering the neighbouring colours.

If you’d like to be included on my Painting of the Week email list please write me at daniele@DanieleLemieux.com. You’ll receive the painting of the week as well as news about shows.

No comments: