Wednesday 17 April 2013



Summer Sonyas
(24" x 24", oil on canvas)

The saturated yellows and reds of these Sonya apples are, for me, an ideal way to hold a summer's worth of sunshine in your hand. These beauties are cross between Royal Gala and Red Delicious apples, and are originally from New Zealand.

This is the second time I have painted this type of apple. Much to my delight the image of the first painting found its way, via the Internet, to a desktop in New Zealand and the actual creator of the Sonya apple. Through my correspondence I was to learn that the Sonya apple is named after the family's eldest daughter, who is in turn a very talented artist.

The Internet has made huge differences in the way I am able to communicate with fellow art enthusiasts. There is little more rewarding than having my work make a very personal connection with someone across the country, or in this case, on the other side of the globe.

Cheers to New Zealand and the original Sonya. I hope I have done your namesake proud.

If you’d like to have your personal copy of the Painting of the Week sent directly to your desktop every Wednesday morning please write me at daniele@DanieleLemieux.com.

No comments: