Wednesday 9 March 2011


Grapescape
(18" x 36", oil on canvas)

I have remarked here before that some paintings seem to paint themselves; such was definitely not the case here.

I started with a 12" square canvas of grapes sitting on that lovely white packing paper they often come shipped in. Once I was satisfied with my composition, I headed out to buy fresh grapes to replace the now wilted ones on my set. Back in my studio the new grapes would simply not sit right, and as a result of my fiddling around, the once crisp paper had lost its fresh shape. Frustrated I replaced the paper with waxed paper and though it did not have the same form, this paper did have a nice translucent quality. But now, instead of height, I had a width...and the width required more elements to make a satisfactory composition. Long story (and 3 alternative formats) short, I arrived at this painting.

Years ago, I naively believed that painting would be become easier as I gained experienced. Not so. As the bar is raised, it has actually become harder. Perhaps my next piece will be one of those elusive paintings that paints itself.

If you’d like to have your personal copy of the Painting of the Week sent directly to your desktop every Wednesday morning please write me at daniele@DanieleLemieux.com.

No comments: