Wednesday 3 January 2007

Still Life with Ground Cherries
(24” x 30” oil on canvas )

Ground cherries have a very short season, and every year I try and take advantage of it. They are an amazing subject for an artist, offering a wonderful combination of great color, texture and form. For this painting I treated myself to a new color, cadmium yellow deep, which I found gave me a cleaner orange than mixing my own. I also love combining elements with complementary colors, in this case the blue bowl and orange fruit; I find it gives an added energy to any canvas.

Our dog Sophie also finds these fruits irresistible, as they taste and smell quite sweet. She deftly managed to eat only the cherries leaving me to find empty husks on my set every morning.

This painting is available at Gallery Gevik, Toronto, Ontario, http://www.gevik.com. SOLD.

If you’d like to be included on my Painting of the Week email list please write me at daniele@dnbdesign.com. You’ll receive the painting of the week as well as news about shows.

No comments: