Wednesday 24 January 2007


Chili Peppers
(36" x 24" oil on canvas)

Farmers' markets, like bookstores, are dangerous places for me. I come home with more food than we can possibly eat, or more books than I can reasonably afford.

A recent market trip netted this string of chili peppers. I loved not only the sculptural quality of the string as a whole, but also the riot of colors and variety of shapes of the individual chilies. By default all other objects in the composition play "support roles”. The simple shape of the bottle accentuates the vertical composition. It's reflective surface bounces some of the hot colors around while the little garlic buds break up the density of the bottle base.

This painting is available at Harrison Galleries, Calgary, Alberta http://www.harrisongalleries.com. SOLD.

If you’d like to be included on my Painting of the Week email list please write me at daniele@dnbdesign.com. You’ll receive the painting of the week as well as news about shows.

No comments: